“It’s the most wonderful time of the year…”
Here are some family-friendly suggestions to brighten your holiday season right here in the Temecula Valley.
Oh Christmas Tree…
There seems to be Christmas tree lots on every street corner or shopping center parking lot which makes it convenient to quickly select the family Christmas tree. If you don’t have your tree yet there’s still time to make it a family outing. Wickerd Farm in Menifee offers the opportunity to choose and cut your own locally grown Monterey pine, or select a fresh cut fir from Oregon. While you’re at it stock up on firewood and enjoy a free hayride. Wickerd Farm, 951-672-3020, 26852 Scott Rd., Menifee, CA
See Christmas Lights
Sure you can always walk around your neighborhood or hop in the family car, but if you want a special showing, try one of these:
- Holiday Lights Bus Tour- Family Pajama Night – meet at Temecula Community Recreation Center, hop on a bus and view the winning homes of the Holiday Lights & Festive Sights Home Decorating Contest, includes refreshments and prize drawings, $5/pp. Call 951-694-6480 to register. (Fri. 12/10-6:30pm; Sat. 12/11-6pm; Sun. 12/12-5:30pm; Wed. 12/15-6pm; Thurs. 12/16-6pm; Fri. 12/17-6:30pm; Sat. 12/18-6pm)
- Fridays & Saturdays, December 10-26 – Take a wagon ride through the vineyards of twinkly lights at Keyways Vineyards. Coffee. Cocoa and cookies are available for purchase. www.keywayswine.com
- Brewen’s Empire Trolley Holiday Lights Tour – Hop on the trolley at Dudley’s Wine & Gifts every evening Dec 1 – 22. Call 951-235-2938 for more info
Live Performances Anyone?
Plays and ballet productions abound this season at Temecula’s Old Town Community Theater
- Dickens’ classic “A Christmas Carol” is presented by the Temecula Valley Players through Sunday, December 12th. Call for ticket information – 951-600-8377.
- On Tuesday, December 14 and Wednesday, December 15 Temecula Dance Company presents the Nutcracker Ballet. Call 866-653-8696.
- The Nutcracker Ballet will also be performed by The Ballet Studio and Fine Arts Network in multiple performances from December 17 through December 23. Call 866-653-8696 for details and tickets.
Head to Old Town Temecula Winterfest
- Visit Santa Friday, December 10th – 6-9pm, every weekend 1-5pm through December 19th and December 20th & 21st, 1-5pm.
- Try ice skating daily, 10am-10pm through Sunday, January 2nd. Call for information and scheduling – 951-694-8423
- Enjoy carolers, bands and more musical fun on Community Music Day, Saturday, December 11th, 10am-4pm.
- Pennypickle’s Workshop is a great stop for kids. Special activities include: Pennypickle’s Winter Wonderland on Friday, December 10th, 6-8:30pm featuring real snow, a hot chocolate bar and Christmas shopping for kids. www.pennypickles.org
- Pennypickle’s Polar Express takes off on Friday, December 17th and Saturday, December 18th from 6-8:30pm. Shop or dine in Old Town while your kids (ages 5-10) enjoy dinner and an exploration of the science of winter. Only 50 passengers per night. Make reservations early at www.pennypickles.org or call 951-308-6376.
Kid-Friendly Wine Country Activities
- December 11th enjoy Babes in Toyland Holiday Buffet Dinner at Callaway Winery. Kids visit and have pictures with Santa and decorate cookies. Call 951-676-4001 for reservations. www.calawaywinery.com
- Enjoy family courtyard ice skating at South Coast Winery, December 19th and 20th from 1-10pm. South Coast also offers an Ol’ Fashioned Christmas Celebration dinner on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Reserve early for best selection at 951-587-9463. Ext. 7237. www.wineresort.com
Whatever you decide to do, make it fun and make it safe. Happy holidays to you.